I'm so excited to have the Avalon Blog Tour stopping by today with a fantastic Guest Post by Mindee Arnett and an awesome Giveaway...
by Mindee Arnett
Balzer & Bray
A ragtag group of teenage mercenaries who crew the spaceship Avalon stumble upon a conspiracy that could threaten the entire galaxy in this fascinating and fast-paced sci-fi adventure from author Mindee Arnett.
Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation, most lie thousands of light-years from First Earth-and out here, no one is free. The agencies that govern the Confederation are as corrupt as the crime bosses who patrol it, and power is held by anyone with enough greed and ruthlessness to claim it. That power is derived from one thing: metatech, the devices that allow people to travel great distances faster than the speed of light.
Jeth Seagrave and his crew of teenage mercenaries have survived in this world by stealing unsecured metatech, and they're damn good at it. Jeth doesn't care about the politics or the law; all he cares about is earning enough money to buy back his parents' ship, Avalon, from his crime-boss employer and getting himself and his sister, Lizzie, the heck out of Dodge. But when Jeth finds himself in possession of information that both the crime bosses and the government are willing to kill for, he is going to have to ask himself how far he'll go to get the freedom he's wanted for so long.
Avalon is the perfect fit for teens new to sci-fi as well as seasoned sci-fi readers looking for more books in the YA space-and a great match for fans of Joss Whedon's cult hit show Firefly.
I couldn't resist asking Mindee to pick the 5 people she'd choose for her crew if she were the captain of her own spaceship...
If I were the captain of a spaceship (wow, even just typing that makes me grin), these are the top five fictional people I would choose for my crew.
- Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Why? Well, duh. He’s a genius and can do about anything. If some random piece of equipment breaks, Data can fix it. Radiation leak in some crucial ship equipment ala Wrath of Khan? No problem. Send in Data. The only prerequisite is he must bring his pet cat Spot. There’s a cat in Avalon too, so it’s only fitting.
- Hoban “Wash” Washburne + Zoe Washburne from Firefly–Yes, I know I’m cheating, but hear me out. I’d choose Wash because he’s the best darn pilot around. Plus, he’s funny. I’d take Zoe because (1) I’ll need muscle and there’s no one quite as badass as her. And (2) there can be no Wash without Zoe. Seriously. They are a required set.
- Corben Dallas from The Fifth Element: Because you can’t have too much muscle when it comes to space. It’s a dangerous place, don’t you know, the Wild Wild West combined with Pirates.
- Leonard “Bones” McCoy from Star Trek: The Original Series (or new movies)—on a spaceship, you’re going to need a doctor sooner or later. Plus, his metaphors beat all.
- Arthur Dent from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy– Why? Because the dude always knows where his towel is. And when adventuring through space, that’s important.
Thanks so much for such a fun topic!
Mindee Arnett lives on a horse farm in Ohio with her husband, two kids, a couple of dogs, and an inappropriate number of cats. She’s addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic, the macabre, and outer space. She has far more dreams than nightmares.
Win a signed copy of Avalon!
(2 copies available, open INT)
1/13/2014- IceyBooks- Interview
1/14/2014- Word Spelunking- Guest Post
1/15/2014- Fantasy Book Addict- Interview
1/16/2014- Falling For YA- Review
1/17/2014- Whimsically Yours- Review
1/20/2014- Such a Novel Idea- Review
1/21/2014- The Eater of Books!- Interview
1/22/2014- Bewitched Bookworms- Guest Post
1/24/2014- The Irish Banana Review- Guest Post